RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire earlier this month that it’s looking to fill several jobs across its development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include software quality assurance engineer, senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect, product owner, product specialist in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), senior account executive, accounts receivable/accounts payable specialist and client support specialist. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
National Job Boards
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (five-mile radius filter): 12,047 jobs in Raleigh, 11,777 in Durham and 11,582 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 44,538 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (using the “exact location” filter): 15,895 jobs in Raleigh, 8,230 in Durham and 2,707 in Chapel Hill
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 48,423 in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 21,031 jobs in Raleigh, 10,383 in Durham and 2,080 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower (20-mile radius): 21 jobs in Raleigh, 9 in Durham and 5 in Chapel Hill
- ZipRecruiter (five-mile filter): More than 26,074 jobs in Raleigh, 12,076 in Durham and 3,735 in Chapel Hill
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (259 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,258 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (255 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 66 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 30 results in Durham and 27 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Several new jobs were added to the site since last week’s roundup:
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. is hiring an associate director of U.S. oncology marketing, portfolio strategy and operations in Raleigh.
- Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL), a real estate and property investment firm, is looking to add a marketing/business development manager to its Raleigh office.
- Democracy North Carolina, a nonprofit focusing on voter participation and campaign finance reform, is hiring two communications directors in Morrisville.
- UNC Chapel Hill seeks a communications director for its Department of Allied Health Sciences, a division of the UNC School of Medicine.
- Local digital marketing agency LOCOMOTIVE is hiring an SEO director in Apex.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
No new jobs were added to the site over the past week. But earlier this month, Durham-based digital consultancy Pathos Ethos posted two job listings for an iOS developer and an Android developer.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
From home to Johnston Community College to Novo Nordisk: A mother’s journey to a new career
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
Over the last week (since May 17), several new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Research scientists at NC Central University’s Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biomanufacturing Research Institute and Technology Enterprise in Durham
- Frankel Staffing Partners is on the hunt for an experienced quality assurance specialist for its client, a Raleigh-area biotech company that develops sterile pharmaceutical and combination products.
- Scientist specializing in formulation/freeze drying at Seqirus in Holly Springs
- Quality control analyst, cell-based therapies production associate and procurement project coordinator specialist at CoImmune in Durham
- Frankel Staffing is looking for a medical science liaison for its client, a North Carolina-based pharmaceutical company.
- Frankel Staffing also seeks a clinical application specialist for a high-growth medical device company in the RTP area.
- Postdoctoral associate and GMP project manager at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Technical supervisor, molecular technician and molecular technologists at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- Analytical bioassays director, medical safety director, head of biostatistics and clinical development director at Asklepios BioPharmaceuticals in Durham
- Frankel Staffing seeks a remote project management director/associate director for its client, a North Carolina-based gene therapy company.
- Research associate at Duke University’s Keihart Lab
- Frankel Staffing is looking for a contract recruiter for its client, a niche contract research organization (CRO). The position includes a remote option.
- GeneCoda is looking for a director of PV quality, a senior manager of small molecule quality and a senior manager of GCP quality for its client, a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company in the RTP area.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
A few local jobs were added since last week’s roundup:
- Cary-based software company Dude Solutions is hiring a web optimization manager and a senior business intelligence analyst.
- Infosys, an IT services firm, is hiring a developer in Raleigh with experience in Hadoop technologies.
- Raleigh-based 360 Cloud Solutions, an IT consulting firm, is hiring a senior NetSuite consultant.
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 4,320 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, and over 240 new jobs were posted on Sunday alone.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings, as of May 23:
- Wake County Public School System (3,080 jobs)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,177)
- UNC Health Care System (1,019)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (548)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (498)
- EY (467)
- NC State University (425)
- Deloitte (422)
- Lenovo U.S. (282)
- Facebook (291)
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University (1,297 jobs)
- Cisco Systems (744)
- IQVIA (646)
- Durham Public Schools (511)
- Duke University Health System (342)
- KBI Biopharma (272)
- BAYADA Home Health Care (270)
- Cree (251)
- Cerner Corporation (226)
- Covance (218)
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System (989)
- UNC Chapel Hill (605)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (491)
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (276)
- Orange County Schools (77)
- Palladium Group (44)
- Food Lion (40)
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation (40)
- Piedmont Health Services (37)
- McDonald’s Corporation (36)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page earlier this year. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 174 positions at 26 companies.
Several new jobs were added over the past week:
- Raleigh startup Pendo, which plans to hire 400 workers this year, is looking for a professional services project coordinator, a senior director of growth and performance marketing, a senior product marketing manager, an administrative assistant, a deal desk manager and a people partner.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, is looking to add a quality engineer in Raleigh.
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm in Durham, is hiring a quality control analyst in Durham.
- Local consultancy Pathos Ethos is hiring an iOS developer and an Android developer in Durham.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs. Posts from last Tuesday (May 18) included openings from:
- RTI International
- Highwoods Properties
- Fifth Third Bank
- Coastal Credit Union
- UNC Health
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Red Hat
- RDU Airport
- NC State
- Martin Marietta
- First Citizens Bank
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company)
- Gregory Poole Caterpillar
- Wells Fargo
- Duke Raleigh Hospital
- Bank of America
- Wake County and the City of Raleigh
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for details on the openings.
Upcoming Job Events and Program Application Deadlines
Dress for Success Triangle NC Virtual Recruitment Event: May 26, 4 p.m. (online)
Temporary staffing company Vaco seeks new talent to fill accounting, finance, permanent placement, executive search and strategic staffing roles. This virtual event is part of Dress for Success Triangle NC’s ongoing recruiting series.
Wake County Hospitality Job Fair: June 10, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
Capital Area Workforce Development is hosting its virtual Wake County Hospitality Job Fair to connect job seekers with recruiters at local hotels and restaurants. Participating employers include Hilton, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Panera Bread, Raleigh Convention and Performing Arts Complex, The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Wegmans Food Markets, Trophy Brewing and more.
Triangle Women in STEM Summer Intern Event: June 17, 6-7:15 p.m. (online)
Triangle Women in STEM is hosting its 5th summer intern event, presented virtually through Zoom. Microsoft U.S. CTO Gina Loften will deliver a keynote discussing her career path, risks worth taking, personal branding, professional best practices and mentorship. A Q&A, along with career-specific breakout sessions, will follow.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: