UNICEF Philippines (Typhoon Rai) Humanitarian Response Report, 9 May 2022 – Philippines

0

highlights

  • Through continued UNICEF assistance to communities affected by Super Typhoon Rai (Odette), 120,484 children and women have gained access to primary health care at UNICEF-supported facilities; 86,180 people were reached through emergency water, sanitation and hygiene care (WASH); 77,138 children screened for wasting; 7,579 people gained access to securely report sexual exploitation and abuse; Access to education for 37,657 children supported; and humanitarian cash transfers benefited 1,783 households. Messages on prevention and access to services reached more than 5.5 million people.

  • UNICEF reiterates its call for all partners to continue to support the emergency response as needs remain significant in affected areas, especially as Tropical Storm Megi (Agaton) struck some areas in Region VIII again.

  • UNICEF received $12.4 million (31 percent) for the response, leaving a funding gap of $27.4 million (69 percent). These resources are for both Typhoon Rai and the ongoing response to COVID-19.

situation in numbers

2.4 million people and 912,000 children need humanitarian assistance

133,800 children at risk of malnutrition

2.4 million people in need of healthcare

2.4 million people need WASH services

912,000 vulnerable children

711,000 children in need of education in emergency aid

Funding overview and partnerships

UNICEF is appealing for $39.8 million for humanitarian assistance to 492,000 people, including 293,000 children, in the Philippines. The call has two pillars: (a) UNICEF’s humanitarian preparedness and response to Typhoon Rai-affected areas in 11 regions, with 72 percent of the total funding, and (b) nationwide COVID-19 prevention and response, with 28 percent of the total funding. Flexible and timely humanitarian funding is needed to meet the urgent needs of children and their families in disaster-stricken areas feeling the devastating effects of the typhoon and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

UNICEF sincerely thanks the United Nations Central Emergency Relief Fund, the Government of Japan, the Government of Korea and the Government of France for the generous and valuable contributions. In addition, UNICEF provided over US$4.6 million from UNICEF thematic funds, National Committee contributions and the private sector to scale up emergency response in affected areas (including US$1.4 million in loans).

UNICEF implements the program in partnership with the following government agencies: the Department of Health (DOH), the National Nutrition Council, the Department of Education (DepEd), the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), and Child Protection Task Forces and their subnational counterparts. In addition, UNICEF works with national and international non-governmental organizations, namely Action Against Hunger, Community and Family Services International, Plan International, Save the Children, Bantay Bata, Samaritan’s Purse and other United Nations agencies.

Situation overview and humanitarian needs

Humanitarian assistance to the most vulnerable 2.4 million people, including 912,000 children, remains in place, especially after the recent onslaught of Tropical Storm Megi. Health and nutrition services have resumed but face limitations in usable facilities, equipment and staff. WASH Cluster partners move from emergency to early recovery through multi-phased strategic plans for recovery and rehabilitation, working in partnership with the Shelter and Camp Coordination and Camp Management clusters. Child Protection and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Services (MHPSS) remain an urgent need. CARAGA and Region VIII continue to require temporary learning spaces (TLSs) and teaching-learning materials to supplement government clearances. Data on early childhood education and child development professionals continues to be consolidated.

Share.

Comments are closed.